Monster Mash Memories: Super Castlevania IV



This was written for Eat Your Serial/Maglomaniac  on July 8th 2013


As intended earlier, the month of July would make up my insight on video games with monsters in it.  So, here’s my take on Super Castlevania IV.  Now, normally, when I look back at a game, I first finish it and then review its graphics, sound, controls, story, extras, and lasting appeal.  Usually when I do this, I try to cover as much information as I possibly can.  However, this game hasn’t covered all the criteria I mentioned (I haven’t finished it), so instead, we’ll look into some memories pertaining to my experience with the game.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Super-castlevania-IV-gameplay.png

Upon receiving Nintendo Power for the first time, I was given something called the Super NES Buyer’s Guide for all the launch titles for the system along with games that would come out very soon.  I came across Super Castlevania IV and it was intriguing.  Unfortunately, I’ve never played the original three or even owned the original three.  See, back in the day, I was a gamer that didn’t have a lot of money.  So, it was either rental or game trading with fellow friends and classmates.  I didn’t have many games to trade, nor did I know many friends.  So, my Castlevania experience was limited.  My older brother, however, did have many friends.  Sadly, he didn’t make the move to borrow any of the first three (but he did make the move to get some real stinkers or challenging games like Bayou Billy, Skate or Die, or Ice Hockey).  Once the SNES was ours, Super Castlevania IV was one of the first games we borrowed.  Later on in years, we did get a Blockbuster Video membership, and we did rent this game.  So, it was a “better late than never” scenario with the Castlevania series as I got my first taste of Castlevania with this game. 

 

At first, it was my older brother playing, and I studied what he did as best as I could.  Once I got my hand at playing it, I got as far as the last stage.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t get past the bridge with bats breaking out of them.  Then, I forgot the password because I forgot to write it down.  Still, I made it to the last stage, and sadly, I never got to finish it.  But, I digress.  Let’s get down to the guts of the game, eh?


Basically, Super Castlevania IV is a remake of the very first Castlevania game, adding a slew of new stages to the game, as well as a few nuances like whipping in 8 directions, and mode 7 graphics that allow for some memorable experiences like giant chandeliers to jump off of.  The story has Simon Belmont has the hero, looking to traverse Dracula’s castle to kill Dracula.  First, he has to survive the stages before him.  If you sustain a certain amount of damage, you will lose a life.  If you lose all your lives, the game is over.  As an addition to the game, you can continue after certain stages with the addition of a password system, which is kind of reminiscent to Mega Man 2.  The graphics are decidedly upgraded and the digital sound courtesy of Nintendo’s deal with Sony.  The game’s difficulty was at an all-time high.  It will punish you for making mistakes, and coerce you to remember the patterns before you in each stage.  Even with your memory, you have to employ clever tactics to kill the enemies as well as the bosses that are at the end of the stage.  All in all, it makes for a rather challenging experience, hearkening back to the days of old school gaming.



So, why didn’t I ever finish it?  I’ve been to MAGFest where I could have picked up a copy and played it until the end.  I’ve found it on EBay and Amazon.com.  I even saw it at FuncoLand many times.  Why not just buy the game and finish it, right?  To be honest, I don’t know.  Perhaps, it’s the general fear I have of just the daunting challenge of fighting the Count.  Maybe it’s the lack of time I have to play the older games in my life, with a lot more games on other systems.  All I know is that I have gotten close to the end and have never gotten the chance to finish the game, let alone own the actual copy of the game.  I still have time, though.  However, for those of you who have that interest to own and/or finish the game, do so.  It should be easy to find and definitely worth the play through.

Next time, we monster mash up a rare Castlevania title: Castlevania 64.


Comments

Popular Posts