Anime Review: Lupin the Third (Green jacket series)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91Fp6UyTITL._SL1500_.jpg 

So, I'm minding my own business, watching Adult Swim and there's a commercial for Lupin the Third.  I watch it and I enjoy it, tremendously.  I have always been a fan of some of the older anime selections, if not most of them.  As I do my research on this series, I learn that not only is it one of the longest-running anime series in history, but it also has had a few feature films and was an inspiration of sorts for Cowboy Bebop.  Now, I knew this series was worth it.  The problems were these:
 
-The manga was hard to track down without spending an arm and a leg.  Also, I didn't know my way around the Internet to get it for free, without leaving my computer open for viruses, malware, etc.

-The anime was broken up into multiple series.  And I mean, MULTIPLE series.  Some of it was translated, some of it wasn't.  Some might not have even made it to the U.S.  It was so daunting.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lupin/images/a/ae/Lupin_green1.png/revision/latest?cb=20151128182903

Then, the unthinkable happened.  I went to an anime store across the street from my guitar school and did some looking around.  And lo and behold, I come across this little gem.  It was for a reasonable price, it was nice and pristine, and it was right there for the buying.  I figured it was the whole thing, actually.  Then, it dawned on me that it was just the whole "Green Jacket" series of the show.  So, knowing this, did I get mad?  Did I get frustrated?  Did I return it?  No, no, NO!  I put it into my Blu-Ray player, subtitles and all, and watched this classic unfold.

 https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYrMN0WkLX1eamQxK_WK8Hf-B9OkS1asiSFZCLvV08F_PK9xEpFA

Lupin the Third is that guy that always seems to land on his feet, no matter how bad things get.  He's a master thief, an excellent driver, and even a bit of a ladies' man.  Unless that lady's name is Fujiko.  Then, no chance.  Anyway, Lupin travels the world having fun, stealing, racing and what-not.  He does so with the help of his good friend and confidant, Jigen.  Jigen may or may not have ties to the Yakuza, and he's an excellent shot.  On their way, they run into Fujiko.  She's also a cunning thief and a "Mistress of Disguise".  She can use her charm and good looks to get in and out of tight spots where treasure can be found.  You just won't see her with her arms around Lupin, no matter how hard he tries to charm her.  Lastly, there's Goemon.  He's a bit of an anachronism, as he is a samurai who initially made it a point to kill Lupin.  However, after a timely assist by Lupin, Goemon is now indebted to him.  Last but not least, we have Zenigata.  He has made it his life's work to capture Lupin and send him to prison for good.  As a running gag, he always gets close, and falls far.  

https://static.zerochan.net/Lupin.III.full.592016.jpg

This series is the very first run of Lupin the Third in animated form, from what I can tell.  It has 23 episodes of hi-jinx, high adventures, and "ha-ha"s along the way.  It's more than enough to either get you interested in buying or finding the next set of cartoons, or just keep you satisfied with this amount.  I'll admit that this version is only in Japanese, but I'm sure the purist in you loves the fact that it's not dubbed.  If you don't mind dubbing or prefer English, I believe there is an English form out there worthy of purchase.  

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsEmk8HrcvoGtosvn0GbOrkilOMJOH6vT2q9RFGjKXuB1h9sGxng
The English and Japanese version, I believe.
If I ever had to recommend one of the earliest anime shows or movies to watch, Lupin the Third would definitely be right up there.  Others like Astro Boy, Gigantor, and even Golgo 13 are right up there as well.  But, you don't have to take my word for it.  23 episodes later, I'm sure you'll definitely enjoy this hilarious romp.  Heck, you may even find yourself singing the theme song.  I did...and still do.

Comments

Popular Posts