Buy! Sell! No wait, buy! No wait, sell....

In the beginning, there were items that I wished to have.  I remembered asking or hoping that my parents would get the things I wanted with whatever money they made or something.  I was a kid, so it makes sense in a way.  As time went on and I grew up, I got a job.  As I did, I finally got a chance to buy the things I wanted.  Woot woot.  So, buy the things I want, with the money I want.  Pretty cool concept, eh?  Well, this isn't quite about that.  This is more about the new venture I've taken starting this year.  This is about my spending money to make money in a way....


The beginning of this year was a tumultuous one.  I had made the decision to end my active watching of wrestling, my hardcore gaming, and even to take time off of social media (well, leave it, but I came back).  I figured, with all the changes I was choosing to make, there was no need for all the excess items that were at home.  If I'm not going to be using these items anymore, why keep them?  What's the use, right?  There was only one thought that came to mind:  I have to get rid of these things.  If I couldn't donate them or give them as gifts, perhaps I could sell them.


Originally, when I bought something, I had no real interest in selling it.  If I bought something, I wanted to keep it, forever and ever.  Over time, as I discovered things like EBay and Amazon.com, I saw that things that I would want, could want, or have always wanted.  Some of it brand new, some of it used.  This was it.  I could get whatever I wanted because I could afford it.  Initially, I wanted my things brand new as I didn't want to deal with people's second-hand items.  That's all changed now, but we'll get to that.


So, over my life, I have obtained clothes, video games, DVDs, and whatnot.  I figured that they would be mine forever.  I like the things I can keep.  Why would I go through the trouble of buying it if I wanted to give it away, right?  I remember when I started going to FuncoLand.  The big sell was that the games were plentiful and at half price.  I found out that they were used when I first went inside.  Now, some of these games I never even played before let alone owned.  And, Blockbuster, in all of its awesomeness, rarely had these games, and in turn didn't allow for purchasing, if you know what I mean.  It did allow for stealing.  Still, the purist in me wanted the box, the cartridge, the booklet, the whole shebang.  Over time, I calmed down, especially when it came to retro games.  One man's trash was now my treasure.  In a few months and with a few paychecks, I fleshed out my Super Nintendo collection, along with the N64.


I got really into the used game market around this time, looking to get as many games I haven't acquired before for whatever retro systems I had.  I never really looked into doing it for newer games.  I tried to get them all fresh in the packaging.  That has changed, though, as I now shop for the game if it has been out and returned, in order to save money.  Gaming is an expensive hobby, among others.  Soon enough, I got into buying and selling games back if I no longer needed or liked them.  Lately, it's become something of a necessity.


During the last year, I found myself relieving myself of a litany of things that I no longer needed.  I started with my Cd's.  I threw them out (a small regret as I should have sold them).  I rebooted my MP3 player as well.  When it came to video games and wrestling, I had a slew of DVDs and games that I could no longer use or find useful.  I was like, "What am I going to do with all of these?"  Then, I remembered I could sell my video games to Gamestop, and get some money for them.  That would be a useful thing to do.  So, I sold the games I could no longer use, gave away the others to family, and arranged to have others taken care of as well.  No need to hold on to things that were not helpful.  I made some decent coin and put it to good use for myself.  After this, I found that more sales needed to be made.  I got some really good stuff for my consoles and my older games.


When it came to my DVDs, I had to break them into 3 categories: movies, wrestling, and animation.  When it came to selling them, I broke that into two categories: what can be sold online and what can be sold in person.  So, I took a suitcase full of DVDs into midtown and sold them for a good amount of money.  The others I sold on the Internet via EBay and got some great returns on them, to be sure.
Then, it was time to move onto other items that needed removal.


I now, no longer have an MP3 player as I sold my final one for some money.  I was given a few items from friends that I found no use for, either.  For instance, a spare LCD television that can play DVD movies.  Also, someone Else's Playstation 2, games, NES and SNES, and their respective games.  I have also sold some books of mine, which are much harder to sell, as I have found.  If they aren't in pristine order, no one's going to want them...for much.    In the end, I got the knack for buying and selling items, re-establishing the value of what I wanted to keep and what I wanted to get rid of.


Currently, I don't have many items to sell these days.  However, if something comes my way, I will make it a point to make a sale.  It's definitely something I have taken a shine to, no question there.  I'm also starting to get a little better at it, in a way.  There comes a time in life where you have to prioritize what is worth keeping and what is worth letting go.  If I can make some money doing it, that's really not a problem.

Comments

Popular Posts