Sass shows no class, but do we often see it in ourselves?

I just found out or at least was called on a foible of mine that may be a habit of sorts that I don't notice on a regular basis.  As it turns out, I can be a bit snooty at times.  Yes, me, the nerd, the geek, the dweeb.  The guy that has had trouble making great friends is actually a bit full of himself sometimes.  The funny thing is I never noticed it until someone called me on it.  The only person who did was my girlfriend.  Once I was told this, flat out, I was stunned, and saddened.  I promised myself I wouldn't be that person.  I didn't want to be.  I've seen what that person was like and is like.  That's not me.  However, after spending many years with what I know, who I know, and what I bring to the table, I realize that I have a bit of an ego to me.  Is it a defense mechanism towards those who have been popular?  Is it a means to fight off criticism from others?  Is it something I've developed in order to seem somewhat superior to my peers, when at times or not, my peers make themselves superior over me?  Is it all the videos I've seen or movies I've watched?  It might very well be a combination of all.  One thing is for sure, I feel this needs to be covered for the sake of introspection.

I'll admit: when people give me compliments, I get rather bashful.  I don't want to toot my own horn, really. I just think what I do is common stuff, really.  Whether it is my job or my hobbies, I just try to do what I like to do to the best of my ability. You should never go half in if you really want to do something, nor should you not attempt to do your very best, be it with what you have to do and what you like to do, in my opinion.  However, when people say you should be proud of what it is that you do, you should never let it go to your head.  Sadly, there have been times where that has happened.  I know I'm not the only one, as we have all been guilty somewhere along the way.  When I talk about some of my favorite hobbies with someone who doesn't know as much as I, I become this overbearing teacher who has to say everything and anything that comes to mind.  Although not often, I can hear myself sounding like an overbearing know-it-all.  I don't know if it's because I get so into the topics I discuss because I feel passionate about them.  Whatever the case may be, it happens, it's a severe turn-off and it's a surefire way to get you in trouble. 

Lately, I've been making this mistake more often than necessary.  Funny thing is I've yet to do it to someone I don't know, and specifically, someone that could do me severe damage on a physical, mental, or spiritual level.  I've been smart enough to just show reserve and resolve and not go overboard.  However, when one gets too ahead of themselves, and when one has to show restraint almost all the time, be it due to a personality trait or just general issues with feelings, they find their sass, their "snootiness", is taken out on the people that care about them.  In fact, once it becomes a comfortable part of your life or a habit, it becomes a regular part of your life.  You won't watch a movie because of a certain person or director, and then you sort of look down on someone who'd want to watch it anyway.  Now, imagine if this was your brother, or your best friend, or your boyfriend or girlfriend.  Imagine if they don't know enough about this actor or director, or don't even care, and want to watch it anyway, to see what it's like. 

Your sass could severely deflate the situation, and even sour your relationship with these people if you decide to voice your opinions and look down on these people.  It's even worse when you are very passionate about this issue and vociferously state your disapproval.  It’s good to say what you think, sure, but there’s a level of class you should employ when you do so, and there’s a line you shouldn’t cross when you do.  Thankfully, the situations didn’t go any further than a rather violent encounter or something.  Currently, I try to be as mindful as I can about what I say.  However, once the passion starts to kick in, it gets challenging.  Also, I try to be as patient as I can as well, with the people I know.  Things happen, and I have to remember that.  People try to help you with advice, even if they don’t answer your question as soon as you want it.  It doesn’t hurt to listen.  Lastly, it doesn’t hurt to have an open mind, either.  Just go with the flow, sometimes.

Comments

Popular Posts