Artsy Monday #66

 Well, hello there.  Look at this, eh? 6 years ago, I made the final post for Artsy Monday at the time.  I knew I'd get back to it sometime.  I'm sorry it took so long.  Anyhoo, here's the entries for this Monday.


6 years ago, I posted pictures of the X-Men.  This year, I post them again....but in a different light:









Back in 1996, a crazy idea came along.  What if you took the fighters from Street Fighter Alpha, and placed them in the same arcade game as the characters from X-Men: Children of the Atom?  Sure, they were animated rather similarly thanks to the CPS2 arcade board, but the games were so different that it would seem impossible to pull it off.  Or so we thought.  

What you see here is my drawing of the characters from X-men Vs. Street Fighter.  I initially rejected the idea of drawing them in a collage like my other works primarily because there were collages of them that existed.  In fact, for the longest time, that was the only way I could get a clean picture of any of the characters.  Then, as time passed, and my artistic exploits took a break, I thought to myself: You know, I've done three other 2-D versus arcade games between Marvel and Capcom.  Why not do the very first?  Did I have access to clean pictures? Do I want to put pencil to paper and get my artistic juices flowing?  Thankfully, the answer was or were yes.


On the front of the picture, you have the mutants on the left and the world warriors on the right.  My task was to kind of re-create the selection screen for the Street Fighter characters in how they stood next to each other.  However, I was going to place them based on their relation to each other, in a way.  Akuma happens to be in the middle because he has no relation, I guess.  That, and he was in X-Men: COTA, and in Street Fighter Alpha...terrorizing the both of those games.  Meanwhile, the X-men are up front, sort of grouped together like a team.  As for the villains, they are behind Magneto, following his lead, of course.


On the back of the picture, I have Apocalypse.  I couldn't do what I did for the other pictures I had and neglect the boss character this time.  I did have my reasons, of course (ex. no clean picture, no space to draw them), but this time, it wasn't going to cut it.  I was going to make a grand return to one of my favorite passions, and this was going to be "X-Tra" special.  :-)



Stay tuned to Artsy Monday, when I do what I did with MVC2 and draw the characters my way.  The subject of the work? Capcom Vs. SNK 2!  Keep Rockin' BABY!







Comments

Popular Posts