Anime Review: Space Adventure Cobra - The Movie

Image result for space adventure cobra the movie 

In my previous review, I covered Golgo 13 as one of the few anime from way back that I had a wild hair to finally watch.  For this review, I'm going to take you back...to over 35 years ago.  My birth year: 1982.  An anime was created based on another popular manga.  It was about an adventurer that had the swagger of Han Solo, the dirty blond hair of Luke Skywalker, the gun arm like Samus Aran or Mega Man, and, I'd say the over-the-top nature of...say, Buckaroo Banzai? Oh, and he has the frame and garish good looks of Flash Gordon.  His name was Cobra.  He got a few manga and a few movies based on his character and adventures.  As for this movie, well...for this, let's jump to 1991.

Ah, 1991.  I was 9 years old, in 4th grade, and we just got cable television.  I got to discover Nickelodeon, The Family Channel, and ultimately, MTV.  I saw the video of the song, "Girlfriend", by Matthew Sweet.  All during that video, there were clips strewn about of this movie.  I was visually enthralled with what I saw.  I was primarily unfamiliar with anime, but if it was animated, it got my attention.  Needless to say, this got my attention.  26 or so years later, that wild hair to get Golgo 13 also tickled my fancy to secure this movie as well.  So, I got both on Blu-Ray.  Here is this one's review.

Image result for space adventure cobra

Space Adventure Cobra is about an adventurer named Cobra who finds himself crossing paths with a mysterious and beautiful woman.  This woman finds herself on the run for a very important reason.  She needs to track down her sister, who is in the clutches of a dangerous warlord.  As Cobra and this woman cross paths, a very powerful chemistry and connection is formed between the two.  How powerful?  Powerful enough to reveal the mysteries behind said woman and her sister.  Mysteries such as the fact that she and her sister have another sister...and they are triplets...and are what's left of their bloodline..I'd say more, but where's the fun in that?



If you're looking for an awesome science fiction adventure, anime style, here's your ticket.  Sure, it's no Captain Harlock or Galaxy Express 999, but just like those, it's chock full of atmosphere, fun, depth, drama, and a ton of heart.  Plus, it's a classic.  You got to get in touch with your anime roots, you know?   So, strap in and get ready for an adventure like you've never seen...or have, if you saw that Matthew Sweet music video, Girlfriend.  Take it E-Z-E!

Comments

Popular Posts