Super Smash Bros. Wii U (First Impressions)



I have the game, I have the game, I have the game!

Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and 3DS is one of the most hotly anticipated games in recent memory, right next to GTA V for the next-gen systems, and the latest Call of Duty.  I pre-ordered the game, and boy, was it worth it.  This Thanksgiving weekend saw myself and my wife tackling the game along with myself and my brothers do the same later on in the day.  How does the game stack up?

Let's find out, shall we?

Ok, for the most part, I haven't tackled everything quite yet.  So, this is more of a mini-review of sorts.  What I did tackle was the most popular part of any Smash Bros. game: Free-for-all mode.  

Graphically, the game looks amazing.  The HD graphics make the game look as spectacular as ever.  And, it runs on 60 Frames per Second.  So, it's smooth as silk, with little to no skips or breaks in the frame rate.  Talk about awesome.  Also, those loading times: practically non-existent.  Sweet!

From a sound standpoint, this game has a long list of musical tracks to choose from, and they all tantalize the ear to an amazing level.  Sound effects are also pretty astute.  Also, big ups to Nintendo for retaining the vocal services of every character involved and making them sound as authentic as possible.  Cool beans.

Now, we move on to controls.  I initially wanted the bundle version that had the game, a new Gamecube controller, and the highly-coveted Wii U Gamecube adapter.  This peripheral only works with Super Smash Bros for the Wii U at this point in time.  It may actually be the only game that uses it, too.  It is highly-coveted to say the least, as the item itself is practically sold out in North America.  You can't find it anywhere.  If you can, kudos.  Just expect to pay a lot for it.  It's MSRP is only $20.  However, because of its scarcity, it will probably cost the same as an actual video game title, or higher.  Amazon and EBay are the ways to go to find it easy.  If that's not  your forte, the game has a multitude of controller options.  You can use the Wii U Pro Controller, the Wiimote with or without the Nunchuk, The Wii classic or classic pro controller, and even the Wii U Gamepad or the Nintendo 3DS (if you have a 3DS copy).  However, I can understand that Smash Bros. fans love the GameCube controller for a good amount of reasons.  You don't have to charge it, the controls are pretty tight, it's very affordable compared to the Wii U Pro Controller, and it is a far better option than using the Wiimote.  Personally, I prefer the pro controllers when I'm alone with my wife playing.  I go for the Gamecube Adapter when I have more company over.  Both options work amazingly well.

I have yet to dive in to the other modes like Classic, All-Star, any stadium events and the like.  I have, however, dove into collecting trophies.  Worth it as always.

In all honesty, this is definitely the game to own going into the holiday season.  Ultimately, if a Wii U is or isn't in your future, Smash Bros should be.  Get yourself a copy if you haven't already.  I'm more than sure that this game will fly off the shelves in the near future.  Heck, over half a million copies were sold in the U.S. within a span of 3 days, and that was before the game came out in Japan, Australia, and Europe.  Also, we have breaking news: the game's developer, Masahiro Sakurai, has stated that this game may be the last in the series.  So, don't delay, get the game today!

Comments

Popular Posts